What is Ready Set Wear It 2019? Ready Set Wear It is a family-friendly event where boaters are educated about the importance of wearing a life jacket.
Whether you’re just learning to boating or have been a boater for years, it might be tempting not to wear a life jacket on the water – you might think you’re a strong swimmer or it just doesn’t look cool. However, regardless of the type of boating activity, there is never an excuse not to wear one.
Check out 10 Easy Ways You Can Be A Safe Boater And Set A Positive Example Of Boat Safety As You Attend Ready Set Wear It 2019.
- Take a safe boating course. Learn valuable tips that can help you save your life in unexpected situations by taking a NASBLA (National Association of Boating Law Administrators) -approved boat safety course. Many courses are online and save money on boat insurance.
- Make sure everyone wears a properly fitting life jacket (personal flotation device, or PFD) approved by the US Coast Guard while boating. In particular, make sure that your life jacket is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard for the specific type of activity you plan to participate in on the water.
- Schedule a marine safety check with your local US Coast Guard Auxiliary or US Power Squadrons during an upcoming Ready Set Wear It event. Every ship safety check is carried out 100 percent free of charge.
- Know the state boating laws. Rules and laws can vary from state to state, and violations can result in ticketing, fines, or jail time.
- Submit a float plan to a trusted individual that includes details of the trip, boat registration information, people, towing or trailer vehicles, communications equipment, and emergency contacts.
- Check the current weather forecast before leaving the dock. You can visit weather.gov for the latest updates in your area and use a marine radio to stay informed of onboard weather changes.
- Know and follow your boat capacity limit. If you have too much on your boat, the boat can become unstable and overturn.
- Always take good care of other boaters and the environment while boating.
- Work with local outdoor clubs to host a presentation on life jackets and water safety.
- Help spread the word about the dangers of boating under the influence of the public. Protect your life and others – never BUI. Alcohol consumption is the most well-known factor in fatal boating accidents. Where the main cause was known, alcohol was listed as the main contributor to 19 percent of deaths.
Now that you have a list of specific ways you can be a safe boater during Ready Set Wear It 2019, it’s always time to get on the water and lead by example.
Debbie Hanson is an award-winning outdoor writer, women’s fishing advocate, IGFA world record holder, and freshwater guide in southwest Florida. Hanson’s written work has been featured in publications such as Florida Game & Fish Magazine, BoatUS Magazine, and USA Today Hunt & Fish. To learn more about her work, visit shefishes2.com or follow her on Instagram @ shefishes2.